Tuesday, October 9, 2007

National Karting Championships


It's my first step towards attending the coming F1 race next year. Tickets would be too expensive & there's no better than way to gain access to places even the most costly tickets cannot buy. That is by being a marshal or a volunteer. So when volunteering at the National Karting Championships during the 1st weekend of October would add weight and provide the training & experience of motorsport marshalling, I jumped at it.

It's my 1st time volunteering at a race or any event for that matter, even I have taken part in numerous races before. Three days from 7 to 7 under the hot sun. What was I thinking?

Well it was a nice experience, had some freebies like a cool polo T, miserly $10 per day & food even unfit for the army provided. I really do hope this would add dividents to my resume when being considered for F1 marshalling next year. Of course, we had an opportunity to try out the karts. The feeling of travelling with my butt inches of the carpark tarmac is undescribeable.

I was tasked to do Flag marshalling at the first turn & witness some wheel banging action, even though the races were supposed to be a time-trial.

No comments: