Saturday, November 3, 2007

Back to Basics

How often have you seen or even ourselves from putting in our physical utmost during exercise. In fact almost all believe it's the only way to train - the no pain no gain syndrome. We blast ourselves to our last ounce of breath to the finish line or in this case a training session.

One thing I have learnt from my supervisor - Back to Basics. Don't run if you can't walk & crawl if you have to.

Let's use jogging for example. Such training intensities are in face mediocre. At tempo pace (runner's jargon) it's too slow to be counted at interval, thus not enabling the athlete to reap the benefits of these sessions. On the other hand, such speeds are too strenuous to maintain for proper endurance distances. Training intensities that fall into 'No man's land," are either too easy or too hard to reap the benefits you want. As quoted from writer Jack Daniels; You are not, as may sometimes be assumed, achieving the purpose of training the two systems on either side of the chosen intensity. What you are doing might be termed, "Quality-junk" training. At the least, it is training aimed at accomplishing an unidentifiable purpose. Always have a purpose for every training session; ask yourself the following questions: "What system do I hope to improve by doing this workout,' and 'What am I really trying to accomplish?"

Let me share my development after smarter training. I was an above average runner compared to my teamates. After just three months are taking a step back, not literally, of training at lower intensities, to engage fat burning; I managed to feature a top 3 position in a race I was usually just scraping the top 10. I was able to hold onto the hard initial pace & still follow through & finish with a strong kick. There are only 2 speeds one should train at; so slow snails fall asleep and so fast your eyes bleed.

Am I afraid the reader would use this method to outrun me? I just hope to share what I have learnt & I'm not worried. Most of the others are too dim, stubborn or lazy to change their methods of training. Remember, the fastest in training may not be the fastest in the race.

No comments: