Friday, June 8, 2007

49 & Counting!


Another 2 trophies to my growing collection of 49, half of which are finishes with recorded positions.

I approached this race with an open mind, just expecting to go home with a momento as in 2004, I came in 7th & top 6 positions were awarded & in 2006, it was 9th place but alas, only the top 8 guys went home happy with silverware.

This year, my training, nutrition and race tactics have taken a different approach and results have been paid dividends over the last few races.

Details of this race only came 1 week before, but I knew it was always in June/ July. I was also maintaining my mileage since the last race a month ago. Now all I had to do then was peak.
On Saturday 2 June 2007 was the NTUC Inter-Union Cross Country 2007, held at the Bedok Reservoir Park. Distance was 4.8k over part tarmac/ part gravel track. The start time was also at 3pm on a sunny, hot afternoon, but that was last on my mind.

I saw my ex-company’s runners, less many strong ones, just the team captain who is their fastest runner, at the helm.

So off went the start & I immediately assumed a drafting position behind my ex-company’s team captain as he was tall & could aid with the drafting effect. In the past, it was always a slow start and gradual build up the pace but often it was too little too late. After proper training, I was confident I could stay with the leaders and hang on for a good position.

Throughout the race, I never slipped out of 5th position and my dreams of a medal will come true even if they gave top 6. Up to halfway point, the pace was at 4:06min. So my motive was to stay in this position. This was until the runners ahead of me started to slow down. So did I, but not that much. My ex-company’s team captain is an accomplished runner and unbeatable company-wise. I matched him stride for stride until my current team mate passed us at half way and the former urged me on. I accelerated for a brief moment but held back, fearing of plunging into the red-zone. This distance was slowing increasing. Then.. up front we approached a runner from HDB who was in 2nd place, also another very accomplished runner. Wow.. I thought, I am in really unfamiliar territory and actually the head of the pack. My ambitions started growing and I surged a little, hoping to make some in-roads on the 3 runners ahead. Then my colleague in 3rd place overtook the HDB runner for 2nd, whom I thought actually slowed down as I also managed to close the gap quite quickly. Along the finishing straight and I used the lampposts as gauge to pace the gap and to the finishing line. The 3rd runner was eventually right under my nose, I just matched his strides, collecting myself for the final surge. But he graciously waved me through. I overtook him but slowed dramatically, fearing a sneaky sprint, like cycle track races. But nothing happened and I saw the finishing line. I opened my strides and but still kept looking back.
3rd! Podium Spot!
Just behind a previous winner of this race and ahead of other company’s best runners. Priceless.
In the end my team also came in 3rd. So two cups & $60, which came together the individual prize. Amazing, in 2004 and 2006, it was just cups for team position, now I have one for individual one too.

The results showed my timing of 20min34sec, 22secs behind 2nd. But I’m extremely satisfied.

2 comments:

Chelonia Munnster said...

wah your commentary is like following F1 race. COngrats on your podium finish! You aspire to be the Lewis Hamilton of gravel trails?

Cool Runnings said...

Well done man! ;-)